Monday, August 2, 2010

Heathen Books

Ok, so the topic's been out for a while and I feel like everyone's been looking to me to comment so it's time I put the statement out. I like Twilight. Wow! It feels good to really get that off my chest. There's actually more. I like Harry Potter too. I've read them all. I've seen all the movies for both series (to date). I know the question on all of your hearts. Yes, I'm team Edward. (Actually I'm REALLY team Emmet)

So why am I telling you this? Because this past Sunday at church, Pastor Mark TORE Twilight a new one. I mean he really ripped it to shreds. I laughed and all because he was stinkin' hilarious but when he talked about a 108 year old vampire marrying a 17 year old girl, I admit my first thought was to raise my hand and inform him that she was actually 18.

But here's the thing: I'm not addicted. I enjoy the books, I enjoy the movies. They entertain me. I do not idolize the books. I simply enjoy them. Furthermore, I do not, nor have I ever, thought for one second that the books were real. I've never believed that vampires or werewolves are real. I am able to recognize that this book is fiction and that romance isn't really like this.

Same with Harry Potter. Love the books! Loved em when I read em as they came out, loved em again this past year when I re-read them! I like the movies (although not as much as the books...but enough to enjoy a 15-hour movie marathon with my roommates, Cheryl & Katie one night). However, I'm not addicted. I've never been inspired to attempt sorcery. Not even when I read the first book when I was 7 did I consider attempting magic. As a 7 year old, I was STILL able to differentiate between reality and fiction!

So what's everyone's deal?? I've heard so many people bashing these two series as if they gave instructions to children on how to make meth at home. I mean, they're books. I don't think the problem is in the books! I think that if you, as a parent, haven't instructed your child on the differences between what's real life and what's fiction or that they shouldn't be practicing sorcery, that's on you! But don't try to make me feel bad for enjoying these books, because I DO understand the differences.

Hot dog! Who knew I felt so passionately? But for realz, if you don't like the books, that's cool. You don't hafta. I bet you have bad taste in a lotta books that I'm not interested in. It happens. But really, this doesn't hafta be a moral/Christian debate.

Aight, that's it. Gimme your thoughts and lemme know...Edward or Jacob?

3 comments:

  1. So I read this and immediately thought of a post a friend of mine did back in high school, called I love vampires, Harry Potter and Jesus (or something like that). She was sick of all the flack she was getting from people at school/church and the whole post was on the positives of the books... I'll see if I can somehow find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - PREACH
    - i 100% agree with you
    - uh, can i be team charlie?
    - you're hilarious

    ReplyDelete